1. Project Location: Downey, California (Supervised by John Redner, LA County Sanitation Districts.)
2. Diameter of line, sewer pipe material (RCP, MCIP, brick, etc.), length of rehab portion: 78", RCP, 590 feet of rehab.
3. When was it constructed and how long has it been in service: Unknown.
4. Rehab method used: Danby Spiral Lok (same cross section as PL III but only 8" wide and different edge locking design) with full annulus grouting with cementitious grout with minimum compressive strength of 5000 psi.
5. Cleaning method used (if required) and who cleaned the line: High pressure (3,000 psi) water blasting performed by the Danby licensee (Rondeau Bay Construction).
6. Method of flow bypass or diversion, if used: Flows 100% diverted by owner.
7. Depth of pipe: 20 feet.
8. Depth of ground water: 10 feet.
9. Ventilation and odor control used: Fresh air pumped into pipe past upstream air dam; maintained sealed lids during non-work periods, and adequate ventilation to carry odors downstream during the work periods.
10. Construction cost (total amount and cost per foot): $234,000 / $397/ft.
11. Month and year of start-up and end of construction: August 1990 - September 1990 (4 weeks).
12. Problems encountered during construction: Installation of the Danby liner in a siphon under a street intersection slowed the completion of the project.
13. Problems encountered after construction: None.
14. Health and safety: Used conventional confined space entry program.
15. Has any re-inspection been performed? What was the condition of the pipe? Yes. The system was found to be in good condition (this section of pipe is inspected annually).
Mr. John Redner
Departmental Engineer, Sewerage Department
County Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County
Telephone: 562-699-7411 ext.1701